It seems we know all about T-shirts.We know what material most brands use to manufacture the tees, we know their shape, we know when and how to wear them. I bet you want to know some fun facts about them, so this is why I considered a useful 10 things list featuring T-shirt information you may not know.
10 facts about T-shirts you might not know
1. Qatar holds the record for the creation of the biggest T-shirt in the whole world . The Qatar Petroleum Company paid to have a shirt that is 72.2m long and 48.7m wide, weighs 6 tons and covers 3,516.25 square meters. Not even a giant could wear that.
2. The Guinness World Record for wearing the most T-shirts at once goes to Sanath Bandara from Sri Lanka. The record is settled at the amazing number of 257 t-shirts worn at once. Is it that cold in Sri Lanka ?
3.We use the word T-shirt on a daily basis. But where has it first appeared ? 100 years ago the word ” t-shirt ” first appeared in the Merriam-Webster dictionary .
4. In 1939 the first promotional t-shirt was printed for the movie “The Wizard of Oz”.
5.You wouldn’t believe it, but up until the 1950’s, t-shirts were not considered popular. That all changed thanks to Hollywood, when Marlon Brando and James Dean began wearing them in films, like A Streetcar Named Desire and Rebel Without A Cause. Since then, the t-shirt has become an outer wear staple.
6. Another fun fact, more for the boys, is that the first wet t-shirt contest was held in Spain around the 1940s . We sure know that spanish people are full of passion.
7. The record for the most expensive t-shirt in the world is held by a French luxury clothing company Hermès. The tshirt costs $91,500 and is made from crocodile leather. I would say it’s more than elegant and I say every man would wear it.
8. Most of the tees are made from cotton. As a material : cotton will absorb over 20 times its own weight in water and is stronger wet than dry.
9. T-Shirts made from recycled cotton prevent over five billion tons of textile waste from entering landfills each year. Let’s help the planet by recycling our tees.
10 . We sure love tees . About 62% of Americans claim to own more than ten t-shirts in their wardrobe. That’s roughly 1.5 billion shirts . Line those up end to end, and they’d circle the globe 34 times.
I hope you’ve enjoyed our little list of fun facts. If you also have some things to share with us, leave your comments below. Even if you knew about some of these facts, I think it helped jog your memory a little bit.